Dr. Bright used to say, “We can trace all of our human problems to our view of God”
and “The most important thing we can teach another believer is who God is”.
Because of this, he wrote the book Discover God (which may not be available anymore) and commissioned the Discover God Study Bible.? Among other wonderful study tools, the bible contains a study of this list of attributes of God that were explored in the book:
- Because God is Holy, I will devote myself to Him in purity, worship, and service.
- Because God is a personal spirit, I will seek intimate fellowship with Him.
- Because God is all-powerful, He can help me with anything.
- Because God is ever-present, He is always with me.
- Because God knows everything, I will go to Him with all my questions and concerns.
- Because God is absolute truth, I will believe what He says and live accordingly.
- Because God is righteous, I will live by His standards.
- Because God is just, He will always treat me fairly.
- Because God is love, He is unconditionally committed to my well-being.
- Because God is merciful, He forgives me of my sins when I sincerely confess them.
- Because God is sovereign, I will joyfully submit to His will.
- Because God is faithful, I will trust Him to always keep His promises.
- Because God never changes, My future is secure and eternal.
If you would like some food for thought and meditation, the web site www.discovergod.com has been created to help you grow in your understanding of God’s character.? You can even sign up for daily devotional emails (the “Daily eDevo”) that have been adapted from the contents of the book.? They have motivated me to think carefully about my view of God.
Give them a try!? As A.W. Tozer said, “What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.”
I’m not sure that book is in print either, but there is a pocket-sized version available: http://www.campuscrusade.com/Tracts_and_Booklets/attributes.htm
I keep one at my desk and use it as a devo every once in a while…or decide to take the next 13 work days to read it while my computer boots up!